Tucked on a peninsula of Sydney’s Lower North Shore, Greenwich was once home to the Guringai people. They fished in the harbour, hunted the hinterlands and harvested from the surrounding bushland.
In 1834, the first block of land was purchased at Balls Head Bay, now Greenwich. It was five acres and acquired for 28 pounds and 15 shillings. By the late 1800s, the village had a sizeable population with a school, general store, post office, butcher and transport facilities. Life here flourished.